Moving stress is obvious as it takes everything we’ve grown familiar with and turns it upside down. It is a long process and includes many tasks. Leaving your previous comfort zone and the disruption of your routines will naturally make you feel a bit disoriented. If you are prepared and organized during the move, it will definitely help you in reducing the amount of stress and anxiety you will face.
Following are some tips by the best cross country movers on making a move less stressful
It’s OK to be disorganized:
Even the most organized person gets into a tailspin when it is connected with relocation. Don’t expect too much from yourself as unrealistic expectations lead to emotional stress and anxiety. Be prepared with transitional tasks including
- Search and hire moving help and trucks well in advance.
- Gather enough boxes and moving supplies including small portable boxes with lids, wardrobe containers, extra packing tape and markers.
- Arrange and set up utilities at your new place and don’t forget to cancel the existing.
- Cancel your services like lawn care and newspaper delivery.
- Change your address with the post office and update your friends and family about your move.
- Make notes of your move and keep a portable file box for keeping business cards of realtors or bankers and essential papers organized.
- Make arrangements for children’s school and vaccinations of pets.
- Take help from friends to assist you during the move if possible.
- Arrange in advance for a final garbage pickup.
- Donate the unwanted and unnecessary stuff to your favourite charity.
Pack a Separate Bag or Box for Transition Day
Consider the essentials you’ll need during your transition including things u need till the last day of moving and on the first day after moving. Once movers arrive, everything will go quickly to loading and you will not be able to find much needed essentials either. Be sureto pack a bag in advance and mark it with the items you want to keep in your possession.
Make a list of all the essentials you want to keep with you and keep them in one area of the house.
- Important papers including mortgage papers if any, passports, any legal documents and financial documents
- Cell phones, laptops, camera, chargers
- Prescribed Medications
- Children’s necessities and their favourite toys
- Pet necessities
- Snacks and drinks
- A few coffee packs
- A separate pair of formal clothes in case you need to go somewhere or to office in a hurry.
Declutter Storage Areas
Decluttering is the right way to start preparing for a move. But very few of us actually declutter as much as we should on our moving day. It will be very helpful to you if you declutter the storage areas first and then the rest of the wardrobes too. It will lighten the process of packing and moving and then will also give you a fresh start at your new place with all your necessities only.
Don’t forget to keep your moving supplies aside, because once the boxes are packed, you won’t be able to find anything. The moving supplies may consist of some much needed stuff including your own bedding so you can sleep comfortably in your bed on the first night.A box of basic cooking supplies and everyday dishes is also required or you can even opt for paper products so you’ll be ready for the first days in your new kitchen.